The Herd – A Short Film
This brutal, award-winning short horror film replaces female cows with female humans, and by doing so hopes to promote a greater understanding and comprehension of the suffering that is routinely inflicted upon cows in the dairy industry. In the film, a number of kidnapped and trafficked women find themselves imprisoned in a squalid medical facility—and escape—on any level is seemingly impossible as the women are condemned to a life of enforced servitude at the whims of their captors; for one reason only—their milk.
Both humans and animals feel pain, feel physical and emotional suffering, feel strong emotions, are compelled by strong desires, seek to nurture their young, recoil from being hurt, and will fight valiantly to live and don’t want to die. We’re the same, humans and animals, we just look different. This analogy is powerfully portrayed in the film.
The film has won many awards and was selected by a number of prestigious film festivals.
WARNING: Disturbing scenes right from the start.
- Best Short Film – Festival Boca do Inferno 2 (Brazil) Nov 2015
- Best Cinematography – Bart Sienkiewicz – British Horror Film Festival (UK) Nov 2015
- Best Short Horror Film – Celluloid Screams (UK) Oct 2015
- Best Foreign Short film – Russian Annual Horror Film Awards (Russia) Jan 2015
- Best Horror Short – London Independent Film Festival (UK) April 2015
- Best Horror /Sci Fi – Sunderland Shorts (UK) July 2015
More About the Film
Follow The Herd on Facebook
Learn More About Film Director Melanie Light
Watch the Trailer
Watch the Full-Length Film
Learn More About Dairy
Published on White Lies and Viva Health:
Dairy Farming Basics, White Lies
Dairy Industry Facts, White Lies
Watch More Films About the Dairy Industry and Dairy Milk
Film Director: Melanie Light
Written by Ed Pope
Pollyanna McIntosh, Victoria Broom, Charlotte Hunter, Dylan Barnes, Jon Campling, Francessca Fowler, Andrew Shim and Sarah Jane Honeywell